Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Critics of all sorts

Critics of all sorts.
Everyone’s a critic. My husband’s family had a fix for this: He who criticizes does. Sort of like Put your money where your mouth is. But, sometimes the only thing critics do is be critical. Don’t get me wrong. My novel, The Junk Lottery, is all the better for some specific and detailed criticism (the comment, “I liked that scene/chapter/book,” or the opposite, doesn’t work for me) from insightful readers who participate in the story as opposed to searching for errors. You know what I mean? A sentence doesn’t always have to be complete. A character can use poor grammar in her speech. And if there is a bleepity bleep error that squeezes through the cracks, so what. The author may be human, not a Rule Robot.
I can’t ignore the fact that there are errors in the Junk Lottery or the ache in my heart when I think about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment